My winter project around the house is to redo the backyard. With the quarter in session it is tough to find time for this task, but I have been fitting in bits of time here and there. Last week I developed a design for a raised bed for vegetable production. On Saturday I picked up the lumber. Sunday I built it. And finally this weekend I set it up.
It is 5 feet long and 3 feet wide, constructed from unfinished redwood. Each side has two 2 x 6 boards and one 2 x 4, with a 4 x 4 used in the corner. I set the screws and used hardwood screw caps, which I painted sage green. I’m curious to see how the wood ages. Most sources I consulted recommended leaving redwood unfinished–so that is what I did.
I filled the bed with soil and two different types of compost. I’ll be keeping an eye on the chemical properties of the substrate, but I think it should be an ideal growth medium. I’m more concerned about how much sunlight the site gets, but that is something I cannot control. Our first crop will be some lettuce and spinach; I planted them from transplants.
The next step for the backyard is to put in the brick walkway. I’ll be grading it and putting down a sand base, then figuring out which type of brick to use. I’m leaning toward a classic red brick right now. After that will come the small patio for our table and chairs, followed by the plants. I’m hoping the winter break provides time. . .