Two years ago I planted approximately 2,000 Canaan fir seedlings in a field with fine-textured soil and a proclivity to flood(I wrote about it back then) . The seedlings came from several different seed sources, which had been evaluated for needle retention. My goal was to determine which ones tolerated the soil conditions.
This morning I visited the field to check in on the plants. The field had a nice crop of dandelions. Based upon my observations I’m not sure if any of the seed sources have a higher tolerance for the soil conditions than others. The field is too big to keep trends of what I saw straight in my head. I’ll enter the data and see what the numbers say.
After returning form the field I spent the early afternoon in the lab. I set up two quick plating experiments. One testing mefenoxam sesitivity of the Phytophthora isolates I have been using and another to test the effect of brief soaking in 70% ethanol on hyphae survival. I should have results from both experiments by the end of next week. (Quick lab experiments are great. I’m so accustomed to a short-term study taking months in a greenhouse or field.)