During the 2008 baseball season I attended eight games, spanning three levels of play (A, AA, MLB). I went to seven different ballparks (Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Altoona, Erie, Reading, State College) and saw eleven different teams play (Arizona Diamondbacks, Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Royals, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Altoona Curve, Erie Seawolves, Reading Phillies, Batavia Muckdogs, Mahoning Valley Scrappers, and State College Spikes).
Here are some assorted total numbers:Games: 8 Tickets: $84 Innings: 70 Game Time: 21 hours 46 minutes Hits: 149 Runs: 90 Errors: 23 Walks: 48 Strikeouts: 91 Home Runs: 20 Stolen Bases: 11
Here are a few highlights:
- June 7 – Pittsburgh, PA – Diamondbacks 4, Pirates 3. This game only lasted 2 hours and 22 minutes. It was the shortest game I saw this season. I was able to witness a McClouth Clout in the 5th inning. Sadly there were no trip-trip-triples hit during the game. I also got to see Doug Mientkiewicz play thirdbase, which was quite thrilling (he only made one error).
- July 1 – Baltimore, MD – Orioles 7, Royals 5. Brian Roberts hit a home run and stole a base. I got a George Sherrill t-shirt jersey. The score board operator messed up and put down the forbidden triple K strikeout total.
- July 30 – State College, PA – Scrappers 7, Spikes 6. There were 15 strikeouts in this game. I also saw the official scorer miss a blatant error (and this was never corrected).
- August 1 – Erie, PA – Seawolves 10, R-Phils 6. I saw 9 errors in this game, including 7 made by Erie in a winning effort. There were also 9 walks in this game. I sat near one of the most obnoxious fans I’ve ever seen (and I grew up going to games in Philly).
- August 7 – Reading, PA – Seawolves 15, R-Phils 3. There were 28 hits and 18 runs scored in this game. The game was delayed 45 minutes at the start due to rain; the starting pitcher for Erie had the last name Rainwater . . . that’s funny. It was his night. He pitched very well and got the win.
- August 9 – Philadelphia, PA – Phillies 4, Pirates 2. Jimmy Rollins hit two triples. In four plate appearances Ryan Howard did not strike out once. Brett Myers pitched a very good game and screamed at Chollie after being taken out.
- August 31 – Altoona, PA – Curve 4, R-Phils 1. This was the third different ballpark in which I saw the R-Phils lose a game during 2008. I got to see Jason Donald play. There were 4 stolen bases during this game.
- September 1 – State College, PA – Muckdogs 13, Spikes 0. This was the only shutout I saw this year. It was also the largest run differential I’ve ever seen in person.
I love baseball.